I found learning word families is really useful because it helps children with reading, spelling, and rhyming.
A few months ago I introduced word families to my son by showing him that some words share the same patterns, e.g. “cat” and “mat” both end with “at”. It helped him read the words more easier. He quickly grasped the idea and so later on when I asked him to try spelling the words, he could do it easily too.
I created this lovely activity set which include picture cards, word cards, and word puzzles that go along with the word / picture cards.
There are several ways to play with this set.
1) SORTING into word families, either using the word cards (easier) or picture cards (harder).
2) MATCHING the word and picture cards.
3) SPELLING using the puzzles provided (see picture). This can be an independent work for the kid where he can check the answer by himself to see if he can spell the word correctly.
Word families included in this set (Level 1):
AB, AD, AG, AN, AP, EN, OB, OG, OP, OT, OW, IN, IP, UG, UN
Each family has 3 to 5 words.
What you get:
– 64 x picture cards (size 9.5cm x 9.5cm)
– 64 x word cards (size 9.5cm x 9.5cm)
(so over 120 cards in total)
– 1 x plastic storage container
– 5 x plastic bags for the puzzle game
– This is NOT a commercially available product / activity that you buy from a toy shop. The activity is designed by me. All cards were made by my myself where I designed, printed and laminated them.
– Cards are laminated for durability.
– Puzzles are NOT waterproof.
You can purchase this product directly in my SHOP .